Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) for Young Professionals
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) for Young Professionals is a fellowship funded by the German Bundestag and U.S. Department of State, that annually provides 75 American and 75 German young professionals, between the ages of 18½–24, the opportunity to spend one year in each other’s countries, studying, interning, and living with hosts on a cultural immersion program.
The program consists of three phases:
- Two months of intensive German language training
- One semester of classes in one’s academic or career field at a university, technical or professional school
- Three to five month internship in one’s career field
CBYX is open to candidates in all career fields, and applicants from a broad range of backgrounds are selected for the program each year.
This funded fellowship opportunity annually covers basic living costs for all participants including:
- Round-trip international airfare from Washington, D.C. to Germany
- Language school costs for two months of intensive German language study
- Tuition costs for one semester of study
- Housing costs for host family, apartment, or dormitory during the pre-internship phases
- Note: program funding during the internship depends on earnings
- Monthly stipend to cover basic costs of living
- Program-related travel within Germany
- Health insurance in Germany
- U.S. citizenship
- Age 18½–24 on August 1st of program start year
- High school diploma
- Must exhibit clear career goals and relevant experience in their career field
- Experience can be in the form of work, internships, or volunteering
Applicants should also have a strong interest in Germany and world affairs. Prior German language knowledge is not required, but is preferred.
Participants are expected to act as “young ambassadors” of the United States in Germany, and to represent the diversity of the U.S. in factors including, but not limited to, career field, educational background, geographic location, disabilities, ethnicity, gender, race, religion and socio-economic status.
NOTE: Previous scholarship recipients of U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA)-funded programs with a duration greater than eight weeks, including CBYX high school fellowships, are not eligible for this program. Current or recent employees (paid or unpaid), as well as their immediate family members, at the U.S. Department of State/U.S. Agency for International Development are not eligible.
You must request an application on their website: https://carl.culturalvistas.org/CARL/pt/request/?prgm_code=CBYX-O
All applicants must complete an online application and submit all supplemental materials by November 1 for the program year beginning the following July. A complete application consists of:
- Online application form; requiring copies of the following documents to be uploaded with your submission
- Copy of official transcript showing at least the last four semesters of study
- Proof of U.S. citizenship: passport or birth certificate
- High school diploma or proof of graduation
- Two letters of recommendation to be submitted